Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
A lady gave my Mother this recipe in 1953 and it has been a family favorite ever since.
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sift before measuring
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cream together sugar and butter, add the egg yolks one at the time; beat well after each addition. Blend in vanilla, lemon juice and sour cream.
- Into a separate bowl, sift sifted flour, salt, and soda. Add sifted dry ingredients to batter; beat well. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into the cake batter. Pour into a greased and floured tube pan and bake at 300° for about 1-1/2 hours or until cake tests are done.