Homemade Italian Tomato Sauce
30min to prepare; 20min to cook; serves 6
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a medium sauce pot over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onions, salt and pepper, and sauté until onions are translucent and carrots are softened. Add garlic and cook until garlic is lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Turn heat up to high and pour crushed tomatoes into pan. Stir in basil. Bring to a simmer, stirring often. Stir in sugar and reduce heat to simmer, 5-7 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in parsley and continue to simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat to taste, and adjust salt as needed.
Recipe adapted from Christina’s Cucina