These Slow Cooker Cheesy Italian Shredded Beef Sandwiches were SOOO good!! Best of all – this meal requires very little effort (your slow cooker does most of the work) and yields an awesome result!
- boneless beef chuck roast, about 3 lbs total – I used 2 small 1.5 lb roasts
- 1 medium yellow/white onion, sliced
- 1 0.6oz Italian salad dressing seasoning packet
- 1 1/2 cans (14.5 oz) beef broth (I prefer low-sodium)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 12 slices provolone or mozzarella cheese
- 12 large ranch rolls (HB bun size but not HB buns!) or ciabatta rolls
- Turn slow cooker on LOW.
- Pour in 1 can beef broth. Place roast in slow cooker. Sprinkle 1/2 Italian salad dressing seasoning packet over roast. Tumble sliced onions over top of roast. Mix remaining Italian salad dressing seasonings with remaining 1/2 can beef broth and pour over roast & onions.
- Cook on LOW 6-8 hours or on HIGH 4-5 hours.
- Preheat broiler.
- Remove meat & onions from slow cooker to a medium-size bowl. If you don’t like the onions, you can throw them away. I like to keep them in a separate bowl & top the sandwiches with them. (Well, my sandwich since the family doesn’t like cooked onions – lol!) Set aside.
- Pour liquid in crock pot through a sieve into at least a 4 cup glass measuring cup (preferrably one that pours the broth from the bottom & leaves the oils on top behind in the measuring cup).
- Discard contents of sieve. Pour 1 1/2 cups broth back into crock pot. Discard excess liquid & oils.
- Shred meat with forks & return to slow cooker with broth. Stir in parmesan cheese until all cheese & liquid is combined with the meat.
- Place bottom halves of rolls on a foil-covered baking sheet. Distribute meat/cheese mixture evenly between all 12 rolls. Top each with 1 slice provolone cheese. Place under broiler until cheese is melted & lightly browned (just 1-2 minutes). Top with top halves of rolls. Serve immediately.